Position Title: Senior Business Developer – Renewables
Reports to: Managing Director – Renewables
Department: Business Developer
Period: Full Time – Local Employment Contract
Location: Woodmead, Johannesburg – South Africa
The purpose of this position is to lead the identification, evaluation, development, commercial proposal negotiation bidding and achieving financial close of renewable and renewable hybrid projects within the corporate PPA markets or under the REIPPP Programme. These projects will need to meet with the strategic objectives and deliver financial performance based on the Group’s financial and risk allocation criteria.
– These opportunities will primarily be focused on corporate PPA for renewable projects in South Africa, arising through Greenfield development, acquisitions or strategic partnerships.
Key Result Areas:
Below listed activities are intended to describe the essentials and are not intended as an exhaustive list of all job responsibilities and requirements :
– Identify and manage private PPA project opportunities.
– Engage energy users on a bilateral basis for PPA and tender opportunities in order to secure power purchase agreements.
– Manage bilateral negotiations, bid preparation, and coordination in order to ensure delivery of successful tenders and financial close of projects which meet the Group criteria and guidelines.
– Effective and clear analysis detailing the nature and key considerations of projects’ opportunities and risks.
– Engage with potential off takers in order to pursue private PPA opportunities.
– Identify and manage bilateral PPA negotiation opportunities.
– Identify and pursue tender opportunities for private PPAs.
– Develop and maintain current knowledge of the PPA sector in South Africa, including potential off-takers, authorities, regulators and utilities;
– Identifies and nurtures relationships with local developers, potential partners, contractors, consultants and advisors to identify project opportunities.
– Ownership and responsibility to populate the project pipeline through proactive prospection, identification of projects opportunities and assessment of projects feasibility.
– Prepares and presents the necessary project documentation for securing a project development budget.
– Due diligence of prospective partners and projects for acquisition.
– Identification, in consultation with a multidisciplinary team, of the best options for all components of a project: offtake, technology, equity partnership, ownership structures, contractors, suppliers, financing, etc.
– Management of the overall project development from origination to financial-/transactional close in a competitive environment, often with short deadlines. This includes the negotiation and finalisation of documents such as Power Purchase Agreement, Consortium and Shareholders’ Agreements, EPC and O&M arrangements, Financing and Security documents, etc.
– Analysis of the project risk allocation and mitigation as per the company methodology.
– Active collaboration with various support and other company functions within and outside of the South African Office
– Build up project documentation, prepare and finalise detailed documentation to support investment approval in line with the investment criteria and internal Business Development procedures.
Communication & Work Relationships:
– Business Development Department,
– Finance and Tax Department,
– Acquisitions, Investments and Financial Advisory Department,
– Technical Department,
– Legal Department.
– Potential Off-takers
– Systems operators
– Advisors, consultants
– Regulatory authorities
– Other ‘stakeholders’ and relevant parties
Qualifications, Experience & Skills:
– University Degree in Engineering, Finance or Economics
– International MBA is a plus
– Minimum 6 years’ relevant working experience in the Energy sector;
– More than 3 years of BD experience.
– Experience in South Africa’s Private PPA programmes.
– Experience with Commercial, technical, financial and legal aspects of renewable power plant development.
– Good understanding of the typical bid requirements for the renewable energy industry.
– Preference in experience in bringing projects to financial close with a specific focus on PPA negotiations and project finance exposure.
– Proficiency in MS Office
– Advanced knowledge of Power Point and Excel
– Fluent in English, knowledge of other language(s) is a plus
Specific Knowledge / skills
– Detailed knowledge of energy markets in South Africa;
– Strong working knowledge of agreements, contracts and licences required to develop, finance, construct and operate power generation assets (partnership agreements, offtake agreements, service agreements and other transaction agreements);
– Knowledge of renewables technologies i.e. solar, wind, batteries…;
– Knowledge of project finance mechanics and risk allocation;
– Commercial and technical skills including project management, commercial and financial acumen, negotiation experience, and risk assessment;
– Presence and interpersonal credibility to represent the Group and the Business Unit in contacts with key stakeholders, Joint Venture partners and external organisations and/or bodies;
– Strong ambition and personal drive to meet objectives, with an open, transparent style and flexible approach.
– Ability to work under pressure and gives what is required to get the job done and takes personal accountability for success.
– Ability to work within a team of members from varying cultural backgrounds as well as with counterparts of varying cultural backgrounds;
– Ability to work together with the other departments, promotes cooperation with other departments in order to achieve the best result for the company, knowledge sharing;
– Maintains high ethical standards;
Location / travel
– Place of residence: Johannesburg, South Africa.
– Frequent travel in South Africa and some travels internationally for Group seminars and meetings.
• Adheres to the Company Policies and Procedures;
• Behaves in a professional and responsible way;
• Lives the values of the Company.
Please send your Resume & Dedicated Motivational letter QUOTING THE REFERENCE NUMBER MJ1837 and VACANCY TITLE to: email@example.com
Tagged as: MJ1837
Project Developer / Permitting Officer REIPPPP Location: Port Elizabeth Contract: Permanent Package: Market related Starting date: ASAP Role & Responsibilities:...Apply For This Job
Business Analyst Solar Hybrid Reports to: Head of Finance & Risk Management Job location: Johannesburg or Cape Town Job Purpose:...Apply For This Job
Lawyer REIPPP / Solar PV. Based in Cape Town you will be responsible for contracts development and negotiation, corporate law,...Apply For This Job
Caribbean Regional Director of Sales and Business Development CHP/Industrial/Microgrid/Power Utility/Renewable Energies. Our client is a high potential, fast-growing, micro-grid IPP...Apply For This Job
Senior Engineer Caribbean Microgrids/Solar/BESS,CHP/Co-generation/Diesel generation Our international client is looking for a Senior Engineer to lead development and supervise construction...Apply For This Job
Vacancy: Senior Project Engineer – Offshore Wind Reference: JS1834 Employment Term: Full Time/Permanent Staff Location: Manila, Philippines Education Required: Bachelor’s...Apply For This Job